Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Poltergeist at the Castro

I had the pleasure of seeing Poltergeist at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco last night (10/02), and had a fantastic time.

The number 2 complaint in our poll (lower right) is that "current movies are just not worth seeing," and I have to agree. It's been a long time since I've seen a new movie that captured my imagination as much as my favorites from the '70s and '80s. Do yourself a favor - use our "Back on the Big Screen" links to find a screening of a great film from the past.

I'd like to give a HUGE bravo to the Castro Theatre. Poltergeist was presented in 35mm and the print looked brand new. It was free of dirt or scratches and was absolutely stunning.

Before the show, a live organ performance entertained the audience, and then curtains parted to reveal the MGM logo on their 40' screen as the room darkened. No ads, no commercials, just a class act. The presentation was excellent from start to finish.

Unfortunately, Poltergeist will be showing at theatres nationwide tomorrow night (10/04) using the DVD upconverted to 720p HD. Shame on Warner Brothers and Steven Spielberg for not releasing 35mm prints of this movie for its 25th anniversary!

5 comments:

Wyliemoney said...

Nice!

FYI- Both Eastern Promises and Into the Wild have been leagues above a lot of recent movie making.

David Jones said...

+1 Eastern Promises

Anonymous said...

I'm in Philly and there's a music venue here that unfurls a big screen every Monday night and plays a classic or recently released "blockbusters".

Quality varies widely, but I've seen some great films I wouldn't have otherwise had a chance to see on the big screen.

Jonesy said...

Joe, what's the name of the theatre?

General Contractors Saint Joseph said...

Great blog I enjoyed reading it.